Several of the blogs that I read regularly have been talking about celebrating Christmas with a Jesse tree. I'd never heard of it before. It's a small artificial tree (even a table top tree) that is decorated with ornaments that represent the lineage and birth of Jesus. It's called a Jesse tree because of a passage in the Bible that says something about Jesse being the root that the tree would grow from. I can't remember the exact passage or the blog I read it on.
A passage from the Bible is read nightly and then an ornament representing that passage is placed on the tree. Most of the time, they are paper ornaments. For example, a star might be placed on the tree after reading about the wise men following the star. One event leading up to the birth of Jesus is read every night until Christmas Day.
At first, I didn't know what to think about this, but I think I like it. Now, don't get worried - I'm not going "modern"! I just think that this might be a good way to focus more on the reason for Christmas. When I read about it, it sounded like a mini Sunday school lesson done at home.
What do you guys think??
No comments:
Post a Comment