As most of you probably know, Jeremy had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance on Wednesday afternoon. We knew that he had pneumonia because he went to the dr. on the snow day. I went on to work Wednesday because he seemed able to take care of himself. I checked on him around lunch and he was fine. His mom went to see him at 12 and he was still breathing normally. Jeremy called me a little before 4 and he was really struggling for breath and saying that he was having chest pains. I got home and found him at the side door with the door open, him sitting in the door way. I felt helpless, there was nothing I could do to help him. Jonathan (his brother), Shela (his mom), and a first responder with oxygen got there within 10 minutes. The oxygen wasn't helping Jeremy because at that time he was hyperventilating. Luckily the ambulance was on the way. The guys worked with hims ome in the ambulance before we left the house. They immediatly started some more oxygen and a breathing treatment, which helped quite a bit. I rode in the front of the ambulance and by the time I got there, I was getting a little angry. The driver had the radio up so loud that I couldn't hear what was going on in the back. Later on, Shela told me that they might do that on purpose. Hmmm , hadn't thought of that.
By Wednesday night, after three breathing treatments and a steady stream of oxygen he was feeling better and wanted to go home. His dr. wanted him admitted because his blood oxygen levels weren't where they should have been. His mom stayed with him while they transferred him to a room and I went to see Hannah at my mom's and then went to the house to pick up essentials for all of us. Hannah saw me and said, "I go home now?" That broke my heart! Usually she cries when I pick her up because she doesn't want to go home,but of course the one time that she needs to stay she wants to do the exact opposite! This was the first time that Jeremy and I have been away from her overnight. It was hard walking out the door and leaving her at my mom's, but I knew I needed to be with Jeremy at the hospital. I'm just so glad that she wasn't crying when I left. Jeremy and I both had a pretty sleepless night on Wed. He had been given several different medicines and some steriods, and was wide awake. I napped a little. It's impossible to get "good" sleep in a chair, especially when I was thinking about Hannah and Jeremy, and all that still needed to be done at school.
Jeremy continued to have oxygen, steriods, and breathing treatments at regular intervals on Thursday. Jeremy's mom sat with him around lunch while I went to visit Hannah. She had been up to no good! She visited with my grandparents from Scottsville and watched them open their Christmas presents. When they got finished Hannah wanted to know whose present had the Dora wrapping paper on it. My mom told her that those presents were for her. Hannah then begged and cried to open, " just one please" so Nana and Pa gave in. By the time that we picked her up around midnight on our way home, she had opened all her presents from my parents. My mom said that she just couldn't stand the pitiful begging and sad face. (side note - my dad went shopping on Friday morning so that she could have something to open on Christmas Day!)
We got home around midnight Thursday. Jeremy's still weak. He is taking a really strong antibiotic, breathing treatments, steriods, and has breathing exercises to do. He is so sick and tired of jsut laying around - and I can't blame him. He's not supposed to drive (dizziness from medicine) and is supposed to stay "quiet" for a while. He's not contagious, so we'll be going to a Christmas dinner at Jonathan's tomorrow. I'm hoping that will help with the cabin fever. He had a check up on Tuesday. If he's feeling stronger by then I think we'll celebrate by going out to eat early for our anniversary.
2 comments:
Yeah, I heard how "spunky" those breathing treatments made the BIL! I sure hope he's come down some before our get-together tomorrow, or I may have to have a talk with Santa! LOL!!
I'm so glad he's doing better. I'm sure it's been a rough couple of days. It's hilarious that Hannah has already opened all those presents. She knows how to use that sweet smile to her advantage! Tell Hannah those cookies look very yummy! (Glad you got your snow day you wanted:) Hope everyone continues to feel better during Christmas!
Post a Comment