Saturday, November 1, 2008

Our First Jack-o-Lantern

Did you notice that I said "our" first Jack-o-Lantern? Hannah and I carved our pumpkin last Saturday. We didn't have traditions like this in my family, so this was an experience! I was prepared. I saved newspaper to cover the table and put an old sheet down underneath the table. I thought that Hannah might be a tad messy. I was wrong. She liked helping me cut (her hand on top of mine) but wasn't the first bit interested in touching the pumpkin goo. Her first reaction to seeing me pull out some goo was, "Nasty - shoo wee!". She never touched any of it.


The pumpkin carving kit came with glitter pens, which were dried up in the top of the pen (maybe because I bought it last year and never used it). I decided to cut the top off of the pens and dump the glitter paint on a paper plate. I thought that I'd just show Hannah how to paint the glitter on with a paintbrush. Before I could get the paintbrush, her hands were quite glittery. Apparently, glitter goo isn't as nasty as pumpkin goo.
Hannah had fun fingerpainting the daddy pumpkin.




She's just realized that this stuff is a little tricky to get off of her hands.



At this point, I was really trying to get a "good" picture with her smiling. She kept saying, "Help me, it stuck" over and over. She is quite frustrated at this point, so I snapped the picture and then we proceeded to wash hands for about 20 minutes! Even though this isn't a smiling picture, I think it is the best picture that I took that day!






2 comments:

Nan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nan said...

Sorry, that deleted comment over there was from me; I commented on the wrong post :) Cute jack-o-lantern! Oh the drama! Gobble, gobble! (I knew you would pick this background when I saw it!!!)