Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day

Sadly, Veterans Day is often overlooked.  School is in session, most businesses are open,  and it's just another day to many people.  Since I've been teaching, I've always tried to do some Veterans Day activities with my kids just so that they are exposed to information about this day of celebration and remembrance.  I plan on doing it again this year, but this year is different.  

I found out last night that my brother has joined the National Guard.  He will leave in January for 9 weeks of basic training, will come home for a month, leave for another 9 weeks for officers training, and then will possibly receive an assignment.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I think that the structure and discipline will be good for him because he has been sort of a rebel the past couple of years.   I think he'll be having to do lots of pushups before his training is over because I don't see him taking someone "bossing" him very well (he has a dry sense of humor and is very sarcastic).

David told Jeremy a good while back that he was going to join on his 25th birthday if he wasn't married.  August came and went and we never heard another thing about it.  It turns out that he was waiting to see who was elected president.  If McCain won he wasn't going to join because he knew that McCain supported the war in Iraq.  If Obama won, he would join because Obama said that he supports the withdrawel of troops.  David also thinks that Obama will not allow the US to get involved in another war.  This is what I'm upset about - I don't think that he realizes that he may actually get sent to a war zone.  I think that he has this idea that he'll be an officer, will get a uniform, and will have to work 1 weekend of the month and 2 weeks of the summer (just like the commercial says).  

So that's why this year is different.  I guess you can say that the war in Iraq and Afganistan just got a lot closer to me.  Who knows, he may never have to go overseas, but I hope that in the back of his mind that he knows that it is a possibility.    



No comments: