Saturday, May 30, 2009

Goodbye School, Hello Summer

Yesterday was my last day of school. 5 years down, 22 more to go until I retire! Hannah and I are going to have a fun, relaxing summer. Here's what we're doing this summer:

1. lots of pool time. I just bought Hannah a pool with a slide so that I can louge around and read in her big purple pool! There's no sharing a pool with her - last weekend she found fishing worms and had them in there swimming with her and a lot of rocks, sticks, and mulch. UGH!

2. weekly movie (free) at the BG movie theatre. Of course, we'll have popcorn too - that's one of her favorite snacks. I haven't had movie popcorn in 3 and a half years and that's just way too long.

3. a June trip to KY Down Under. Teachers (and probably school employees too) get in free in June by showing a badge. Hannah's ticket will be free because she's 2. Gotta love a free day trip.

4. summer reading program at the ECPL. This will be Hannah's third year participating. I'm thinking that she's old enough to be able to participate fully this year. Some of the activities in previous years wouldn't have appealed to her because she was just too little to enjoy or understand. Now, I'm just hoping that my PD days won't interfere like it has every year.

5. Clown show at the Smiths Grove Library.

6. story tme at the ECPL and BGPL. I hope to take her to one of these at least once a week.

7. preschool- homeschool. I've been working on putting together a homeschool preschool curriculum for some time. I've gotten some materials and preschool songs on CD to use. I hope to get it all organized this weekend and start on Monday. I'm planning for 20 minutes of lessons a day, 10-15 minutes of sing along, 10-15 minutes of story time, and 15 minutes of arts and crafts. I plan to spread this out throughout the day and we'll sit at her table during the lesson. Hopefully, she'll also learn to sit throughout the completion of an activity. Maybe then we can carry it over to church and story time.

8. lots of playing outside, snuggling, reading books, and having fun.

It's going to be a great summer!

3 comments:

Heather said...

It sounds like you and Hannah are going to have a great summer! You'll have to let me know how you like KY Down Under. We've never been, but the way my boys like animals, I figured they would probably enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan! Hope you have a great summer... I start Math 211 MONDAY! :o(

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry! I hated that and 212too. They were so hard. Even thought it's Math for Elementary School Teachers, I learned things that I wasn't even taught in high school!

I cleaned out a lot of my cabinets at school on Friday and I actually just threw away my binder from 211 and 212. I wish I new earlier and I would have gladly passed it along.