Monday, May 25, 2009

Weekend Project

Oops, got my pics out of order again. This is a "before" picture. Keep scrolling . . .
Check out those horrendous bushes! The two bushes beside the sidewalk are stickerbushes and covered a good part of our sidewalk when we moved in last July. We just cut away at the edges of them last year for lack of time to actually dig them up. This was the weekend that I decided to tackle this huge job! These bushes aren't planted in dirt - they're planted in a rock garden underneath two layers of black plastic! Talk about a workout!





Here's an after picture. Looks pretty bare doesn't it? I planted one hosta and some pretty pink an black foilage plants (don't know the name and the tags are at the road in the trash). This side of the sidewalk needs another hosta to make this side of our house symmetrical (which is HAS to be!) I expect it'll be looking really good in a month or so, once the plants have grown some.




Another after picture. I left the yellow bush in the back because I think it's pretty. If I can't find another one for the opposite side of the steps, I might just have to dig it up (it's the symmetry thing).


I'm very pleased with the results. The sad thing is that the landscaping in front of the house is even worse -bigger, uglier, some dead some alive bushes. Some are vine- like and trailed up the house! So so ugly! I plan to work on that next weekend. Maybe then I can share pictures of the flowers on my front porch!





2 comments:

Heather said...

Big difference! Looks great!!

Kristin said...

My back hurts for you!!