Friday, June 5, 2009

Summer Break Week 1

This has been a marvelous week. The fun started with lots of outside play on Saturday, followed by cooking out and playing in the pool after church on Sunday. I marinated steaks in our favorite marinade - soy sauce and pineapple juice - and Jeremy did a great job cooking them "just right" on the grill. We had all planned to get in the pool after we ate, but Jeremy chickened out because he said the water was too cold ( which it was in the inflatable pool)! I chose to get in the plastic pool which was nice and warm.

On Monday, Hannah and I took a trip to the ECPL and got signed up for the summer reading program. Then, at her request we went to McDonalds and ate inside. That's a biggie for us, because I've only eaten out with her once by myself. Then we headed home for pool time once again.

On Tuesday, we went to the free kiddie movie in BG. We got our medium size popcorn and watched Horton Hears a Who. I like most kiddie movies, so I was enjoying myself too! But, the popcorn! What in the world has happened to movie popcorn? The microwave popcorn that I make here at home tastes much better and doesn't cost 5.50 either. I'll be taking a ziploc bag from home from now on. As a side note, I also snuck us in drinks! There were lots of wrappers being dug out of purses and diaper bags, so it made me feel better that I wasn't the only one:)

On Wed. morning, Hannah woke me up at 6:30 saying that it wasn't dark anymore and it was time to play. Can you believe that this is the same child that cried and pulled the covers over her head numerous times the past month when I woke her up at the very same time? She was back asleep by 8:30 ( by her own choosing) and slept until 11ish. I used that time to organize all of my preschool materials. When she woke up we played school for 30 minutes straight. I am still amazed that she sat in her chair at her table and was still the entire time. We worked on matching small, medium, and large sized shapes, colors, animals, and mismatched designed mittens. She did better than I expected:) We also worked on the letters A and H.

Thursday was a lazy day for us. I've had some allergy problems for most of the week, but they were really bad on Thursday. What a good day for it to rain . . . and rain . . . . and rain. We now have no need for plastic swimmming pools. We have a river in the backyard and a small lake outside the side door!

Since today wasn't going to be hot, I thought we might make a trip to KY Down Under. I asked Hannah about it and she said, "maybe next week". She told me she wanted to go to town. So, we went to Mr. Gatti's for lunch and playtime in the game room. I was thrilled to find out that kids 2 and under eat free and they have macaroni and cheese on their buffet. Perfect! We had a slightly tramatic moment when we returned to our seat from getting a drink refill ( about 45 seconds) to find that our table had been cleared! Hannah was not a happy girl when she saw that her roni's were missing! I left our perfectly full drinks on the table and off we went back to get both of us some more food. As soon as we got home this afternoon, this was the first thing she told Jeremy about:) The re-telling was quite funny! This afternoon we've enjoyed the weather. She's played in the sandbox/water table and I've sat, read, and attempted to keep her from throwing sand at the cats.

Since the hot weather is in the forecast, I see lots of pool time on the agenda for the next couple of days. We're also really looking forward to a day on the boat with Jeremy some time in the near future. We made a special trip to Walmart today to get a life jacket for her. It's so girly - pink and purple with Dora on the front. I had a tough time getting it off of her after we tried it on. She wanted to wear it because it's cool!

Sorry - no pictures or videos yet. I plan to break out the new videocamera soon, I just have to figure it all out first!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your summer is off to a GREAT start!

Shela said...

You sound soooo busy,,how is the potty training going? Mommaw misses her sweetie pie!!