Monday, February 2, 2009

Reading List for January - updated with reviews

***Update with reviews





This probably won't interest anyone, but I'm posting it on here so that I can keep track of what I read this year. I have tried this in the past, but I never can keep up with that scrap of paper that I always seem to write it on:) At the end of the month, I'll post my thoughts on what I read ( again - mostly for me to remember the authors I like and could care less for).

1. A Charmed Life by Frances Bridger It was easy for me to tell that a British person wrote this - the writing was SOOO proper and used sayings not common to the normal American. There were so many complicated words that I didn't know in the first few pages that I just stopped reading.
This is an unauthorized companion to the Harry Potter series (which I LOVE). It debates the underlying dark arts vs. religious aspects of the series. I don't have an opinion ( or
really
care about this issue); I just read anything I find that has a Harry Potter relation.

2. Fix It and Forget It Recipes for Entertaining by Phyllis Pellman Good and Dawn Ranck There were a couple of good recipes in this. It didn't take me long to look through.

3. Fix It and Enjoy It Cookbook by Phyllis Pellman Good Again, I got a couple of good recipes. It took me about 15 minutes to go through this book.

4. Another Potful of Recipes by Joanna Lund (slow-cooker cookbook) This was by far the best crockpot cookbook I've read. I've tried 1 recipe out of it so far and it was wonderful.

5. Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld (a sneaky way to get kids to eat their veggies - we'll
see if it works!) Maybe my expectations were too high for this book, but overall I wasn't impressed. I'll probably try her ideas for pureeing cauliflower and sneaking it in mashed potatoes and pureeing carrots and sneaking them in spagetti sauce.

6. Betty Crocker Cookbook for Women
I didn't notice anything particularly wonderful about this cookbook - most of these recipes can be found in most any cookbook.

7. The Girls Who Went Away - the hidden history of women who surrendered children for
adoption in the decades before Roe vs. Wade by Ann Fessler
( I saw this on the shelf and the title caught my attention. I'm wondering if those
women would now have aborted the children that they gave up for adoption . . . this
may be one that I get disgusted with and quit reading halfway through . . . we'll see.)
I never got around to reading this one- I might read it later on in the year.

8. A Voice in the Wind - Mark of the Lion Series book 1 by Francine Rivers (Christian fiction
set in the holy lands)

9. Echo in the Darkness - book 2

10. As Sure As The Dawn - book 3
I LOVED this series. It was hard to put them down. The first one begins in Jeresuleum at the time when Rome is taking over the city. The main character(Hadassah) is a Christian and she's living in a time where Jews and Romans want to kill any one claiming that Jesus is the Messiah. The Romans capture her and she is sold into slavery. She meets many people along the journey and shares the "good news" with them. This is the first biblical fiction book that I've read and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't recommend this series to anyone that doesn't like history. This series is full of Roman history and battles as well as histroy about surrounding lands, like Germania.

11. What Great Teachers Do Differently by Todd Whitaker (book study for school - no choice on this one) I could have written this book myself - and made a whole lot of money too! It's all common sense and best teaching practices that I learned about at WKU. Would I recommend it? Nope.

12. Marley and Me by ???
This was such a good book - it was a quick and easy read. Now I'm anxious to see the movie.

Yep - lots of cookbooks for the crock-pot. I use mine frequently and am in search of new recipes to try. With my stinky work hours I use the crock-pot a lot so that I can have supper ready in about 20 minutes. The crock-pot really makes my life easier, therefore I love it.

Overall thoughts this month: Ummm . . . I checked out too many books from the library. Had we not been off of school for 4 days there's no way that I could have read all of these. On the other hand, I'm glad that I had a nice assortment of books to choose from.

3 comments:

Staci said...

I bought the Deceptively Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld a few months ago. Although I haven't had time to really give any of the recipes a try yet, I have put some carrot puree in Aidan and Addison's spaghetti and beefaroni. They ate it up and I felt SO much better knowing they were getting at least one serving of vegetables in that meal! My plan is to make purees and freeze them, as she suggests in the book, over Spring Break in a couple months. We got a multi-cooker for Christmas and you can use it to steam vegetables, among other things. Let me know how Hannah likes any of the recipes from the book. I can't wait to try them! -Staci

Jenni said...

I just noticed your comment!

Nice to "see" you again. I plan to do the purees over an extended weekend or Spring Break. I'm looking at it this way - I'd do just about ANYTHING to get her to eat some vegetables. So far, I've put some Campbell's squash soup in her mac and cheese. One time she ate it all, the other I must have mixed in too much because she wouldn't touch the stuff. Jeremy and I both tried it and thought it was good. And, BTW the only reason I used the soup was because I thought it looked good and after taking a bite realized that squash soup is NASTY! I hated to throw it away, so I just froze the leftover (um - the whole can minus a bite) in baby food jars.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Marley & Me! Hope you accomplish all your reading for January. Can't wait until you start on Twilight sometime soon! I'm about halfway finished with Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand and then I'll be starting on some of the Beverly Lewis books, which will take up all my reading time for February and probably March!