Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend - Friday and Saturday

Thanksgiving Break actually felt like a mini-vacation. I didn't work on any school work or do any major cleaning or cooking. Usually I go back to school feeling like I spent the entire break or weekend rushing around trying to get everything done that needs to be done. Not this time!

After sleeping in later than I have in ages, I put up the new tree and put the lights on. By the time I was finished Hannah woke up and was ready to go shopping in BG. We left the house after lunch so the crowds were too bad at all. I was even surprised at the traffic - there was plenty of it, but not so much that you had to wait much more than usual. We were on the search for a tree topper. I have a beautiful star that I bought last year, but Jeremy and I just couldn't "rig" it to stay on the tree ( this tree's branches aren't as sturdy as the old one). We went to Target, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, and Lowe's. Here's a funny story from Walmart. They had a total of 3 angles, none of which appealed to me at all. Hannah, on the other hand, loved the black angel and wanted it. We talked about how our skin wasn't black and that we wanted an angel that looked like us on top of our tree. She looks at me with all seriousness and said, "But daddy's skin is black!" I am soooo glad that the little old lady in the aisle with us had already left! I told her that daddy had a tan from working outside and had lots of black hair on his arms, but that he was white just like us. After what seemed like forever, she agreed. Whew - then later she told me that she still liked the chocolate angel the best! We never could find a tree topper that we liked so we ate at McDonalds inside of Walmart, got some groceries, visited Starbucks ( I love that place!) and visited my grandparents.

Friday night I decided that I wanted a bow on the top of my tree with ribbon streaming down the sides. But, I had no idea how much ribbon I needed, how to tie the bow, anything like that. So, I called Shela to see if she wanted to go along with us. Our first stop was to get my oil changed. Imagine our surprise when an elf came to the waiting room to tell us that Santa was there. Hannah had Santa all to herself and they had a conversation for several minutes before I prompted her to tell Santa what she wanted for Christmas.


Santa's clapping because Hannah just sang Rudolph to him.


Hannah looks so uncomfortable in this picture! She wanted me to be in a picture and wanted to hold on to both of us. She's got my hand and then has her arm around Santa.
We found our ribbon at Hobby Lobby, ate a wonderful lunch at Kyoto where Hannah chowed down on their soup, and went to the mall for some Christmas shopping.
We came home just in time to put on some warm clothes for the parade. We tried sitting in front of the community center covered in a blanket, but that was just too cold. I saw that some people had parked in the drive through at the bank! Wonderful idea - that way we could stay in our car until right before the parade went by. We got to watch the parade with Maria and Cecilia. Hannah liked the horses the best - especially the ones that were a bit feisty from the crowd!

After the parade, Mamow Shela came back over and made the bow for my tree. It's beautiful! This is our prettiest tree in the almost 11 years that we've been married. I think I'll have a bow every year from now on. It gives the tree a more festive look.



No comments: